Sunday, March 18, 2007

Crying

Potsdam, Germany
06:00 pm
Cold, sunset


Hello,

I am currently very down. My great aunt is lying in ICU. On Friday she had gotten worse and I don’t know why, but the doctors decided to do a colonoscopy (a minimally invasive endoscopic examination of the large colon and the distal part of the small bowel). Somehow they punctured the colon and she was hurriedly taken to surgery. After 5 hours of endless waiting, my family got the news that she was back at ICU, still on ventilator. She got the tube out yesterday and they have her stabilized to some extent. She also has an artificial colon exit (colostomy).

Because of my nightshifts I had been unable to visit her prior to today. I wanted to cry when I saw her, but I did not, because my sister was there. But when Rina left and I was alone, stroking her hair, I was lost. When I was a little girl I sometimes spend a weekend at her apartment and she was the one stroking my hair to make me fall asleep.

The worst thing is, after that proud life she lived, she’s suffering away and all I can do is watch.

A.

No comments: