Friday, September 29, 2006

Goodbyes and Makeovers


Potsdam, Germany
20:21 pm
Chilly Night

Hiya,

well I had the official graduation from my nursing school. I wore a complete different style for this celebration and a lot of people didn't recognise me at first glance. My sister did my hair and make-up and helped with the choice of clothing.

The celebration started with speeches, a high school gospel choir singing and us, graduates, getting the congratulations and such. Afterwards they had a huge buffet with all kinds of things.

Two girls in my class had become pregnant and will finish the education about one year later. They also joined us afterwards. The first baby that was born is Collin Oliver. Our second "class baby" is Yannick. He is the cutest little guy I have seen in a while.

One of the patients I have been taking care of is a 17 year old girl with a chronic inflammation of the colon. She had it taken out, survived multiple infections and her last operation was yesterday. She was white as a sheet when I visited her today on our ICU (I had promised her to come in my graduation outfit).

With Becca I have learned that it takes courage and lots of love from the family to survive a lot of bullsh** that is thrown into your life. After everything she's been through, including countless hospital stays, IV-medications, operations and a stoma, the thing that helps lifting her spirit is a smile. Whenever I visit her, we talk about funny things that happened to me, anecdotes from work, things I've seen on TV, things that make both of us laugh. Today she thanked me for visiting her and giving her a short break from feeling totally out of control.

Never forget the power of a simple smile. It is free, the richest person can not do without it and even the poorest can give it. It cannot be forced, only given freely, without harming the giver. But if you are graced by someone smiling at you, please return the favour and take a break to enjoy the simple things in life.

" You are only truly seeing with your heart. The most important things are not visible for the Eye."
- Antoine de Saint-Exapèry (free translation)

Have a great evening,
A.

No comments: